Wednesday, August 14, 2013

SCHOOL: Teetering on a dream-come-true.

For architectural design studio, the big 6 credit class which will be the main focus of my semester, Chulalongkorn runs an interesting selection system. We were presented, as a whole class of 75 students, 6 different sections within the studio, each run by different teams of professors. We all then filled out ballots with our top 4 of 6 choices, in order of preference 1 through 4, had those dumped into an algorithm that finds the studio selection which appeases some 98% of the class with their top 2 choices.

Blah blah blah...I got my top choice is what matters. I will be working with a team to develop a community center for a small township within Bangkok, of about 1,000 people. This project is to be heavily technical, aimed at being as focused on passive systems, employing climatic and site-specific conditions to reduce energy expenditures such as cooling, ventilation, water use, electricity use etc etc...AKA it's right up my alley. And to top it off: WE HAVE A REAL BUDGET. This project is going to be built.

In addition, I have been encouraged to endeavor on a semester of independent study, and I hope to develop some acoustic control strategies and material combinations that will not only serve the studio project, but carry over into my business back in the United States.

STOKED. To put it lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment