Friday, October 25, 2013

It's Been One Hell of a Five-Year Ride

   Today – the last weekend remaining in October before Halloween – marks the five year milestone since I first traveled to Moscow, ID, to scout out the U of I campus and finalize my decision. Whether I was to return to college at the ripe old age of 26 or not needed serious consideration in its own right, not even speaking to the details like living 300 miles to the North, leaving a band, a business, a home, a cat, a girlfriend and really my entire life behind to go attempt something I never wanted to do in the first place. Yet now, here I sit, typing up what amounted to a passing thought last night, in my private apartment in downtown Bangkok, for a travel blog inspired by an exchange program upon which I was able to capitalize, through the college of Art and Architecture at U of I, a mere semester and a half away from obtaining a degree in a field I never could have imagined. Quite honestly, it's hard for me to pinpoint what drove me to this line of study, but I distinctly remember having a day toward the beginning of my second semester in Moscow where I was slapped in the face with the reality that I really needed to be headed down the road on which I now find myself.

   Innumerable hours upon weeks of program layout analysis, structural bending theory and shear/moment diagram problems, finding reactions, generating piles of trace and marker just to throw away every idea for the day, twiddling with AutoCad laser cut layouts, burying my head in architectural history books and on and on an on, I now find myself heading up the task of designing the structural framework and roofing system for a to-be-built community center in the Huay Kwang district of Bangkok.

   It's been one hell of a five-year ride, and it's not quite through yet. Soon I'll be joined by a long time accomplice, we'll find ourselves somewhere between the Malaysian peninsula and the island of Borneo, I'll be taking my parents to Angkor Wat, I'll be doing I-have-no-idea-what with my time left between graduation and running out of money, and yet still, sometimes I think “holy shit, it'll be nice to get back to Boise.”

   Sometimes a dude just wants to wake up with his cat laying on his chest, play some riffs or grab an ale with friends.

   That said, I'll gladly settle for this half of the planet until that time comes. Also, Five-Year Ride would be a terrible band name.

No comments:

Post a Comment